Walking tours can be wonderful… and expensive, especially if you’re traveling with family.
Fortunately, we came across GPSmyCity ($5/city) and Guides by Lonely Planet (free), two walking tour apps that will fill your days with sights and stories and allow you to explore a city at a pace that’s right for you.
Guides by Lonely Planet
Guides shows you all the noteworthy sites in your area on the map’s app. Tap on the one you want to visit next:
- Enjoy a synopsis of the history and architecture;
- Find the metro, bus or tram that will get you there;
- See the site’s contact information just in case you want to call ahead or buy tickets through their website;
- Browse a list of nearby places to visit afterwards. You can bookmark a list of sites while connect to your hotel’s WiFi;
- Download the maps for offline viewing;
- See a list of nearby places to shop, eat and stay the night.
Guides also gives you a full overview of the city and its neighborhoods so you can orient yourself quickly, access a transit map and review local scams! Use their phrase book to learn the essentials on your flight over.
This is a lot of value for a free app, so why pay $5/city to GPSmyCity? Why do we even list it?
GPSmyCity sets you onto a route where you will experience everything a neighborhood has to offer, as well as allow you to create custom walks. Your phone’s GPS will lead you along from sight to sight or download the offline maps if you’re traveling without a foreign SIM card.
We thoroughly enjoyed GPSmyCity’s sight-by-sight list, including the distances from each other. The tours seemed more complete than those of Lonely Planet’s Guides. These self-guided tours, so full of intriguing information, are definitely a great companion to the free Guides app, and at $5, they are a bargain. Our Athens GPSmyCity’s walking tour of the Plaka and Anafiotika neighborhoods was excellent, and not an option in Guides.
So here you go, two apps ($5) to download before you depart:
- Save money on walking tours;
- Wander at your own pace, stopping for a bite to eat when you feel like it.